Sunday, October 22, 2000

Away We Go to an Island Fair

Time is running out and today was the last day we will probably have to get Diane up and going with this computer, so in the morning, after our usual loll around half the day drinking coffee (and for them smoking), we finally got on the road shortly before noon.

We went to Home Depot, Radio Shack, and Office Max (all in the same complex) and got a bookcase, cords to get the computer attached to the telephone, and office supplies to get the whole system organized (thank goodness for Peggy; Diane and I are not organized people!)

After dropping all the stuff back at home and picking up the cameras, we drove into Edmonds and got on the Kingston ferry, to take us over to the town of Kingston, and beyond to Poulsbo (where they make, apparently, quite good bread). The rain had stopped and the weather was fine for the 30 minute crossing in Puget Sound. A guy on deck was having a great time feeding the seagulls which fly alongside the ferry (sometimes right by a passenger window, keeping pace with the ferry's speed).

As we came into Kingston, I finally decided I was tired of photographing the back of Peggy's head as she took pictures, so asked her to turn around and pose for me. I think the results are rather nice, don't you?

We hoped to stop for lunch in Kingston, but the town flitted by so quickly we didn't have the chance. Instead we headed toward Poulsbo, passing the grave of Chief Seattle en route and going through some absolutely gorgeous yellow, red and orange trees interspersed among the green.

In Kingston we had lunch (at 4 p.m.!) at a lovely seafood place which served locally caught salmon, and then toured the shops. Peggy is getting a little testy with my "bull in a china shop" grace, I suspect. She used to gently suggest that perhaps I might like to wait outside while she shops. Now she says "go outside. Now." I only almost knocked over a bowl of rocks today. Diane is no better, and while yesterday she left her purse behind, today she lost the car keys, which Peggy managed to find back at the restaurant. How will we survive when she returns to Australia? How have we managed to live 57 years without having her here to tuck in our tags, straighten our shoulder pads, and find our missing items?

When we had finished wandering around the town, it was nearing sunset, so we settled ourselves on a bench to watch the sun set behind the mountains. It was a bucolic scene, with the sailboats in the bay, the seagulls settling in for the night, and the smoke from a fire on the far hill starting to spill out across the water.

We drove home at dusk and made wonderful time because we were able to get on the ferry almost instantly. This time we didn't get out of the car, but just sat there while the ferry made the crossing. Then, since we'd had such a late "lunch," we skipped dinner entirely. Peggy put a bookcase together for Diane, I got some software installed and helped Diane start to make sense out of her computer. Peggy was having some indigestion, so has gone to the couch to sleep.

Tomorrow the plan is to go to Mt. St. Helen's, for our last day here, unless Peggy is not feeling any better, in which case we'll probably hang around home, play on the computer, and feed the squirrels. Whatever we do, it will be fine. We've had a lovely time here and will be sorry to return to "reality" on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment