Wednesday, September 13, 2000

I'm Done

This will be short. There isn't a muscle or bone in my body that isn't aching right now and it's 12:30 a.m. and I still have two projects to finish up before I go to bed. Otherwise, all is fine!

In the middle of the day today, I sent the following email to a friend:

Jeeze--I've been being a HOUSEWIFE today. I'm ready to go back to work. (just kidding, Walt) I've...

* met with the tile guy to choose bathroom tile
* cleaned off the kitchen table
* cleaned the kitchen/family room floor
* straightened up the family room
* put the couch cover on the couch
* done 1 load of wash (2 to go)
* 3 phone calls for theatre
* cleaned THREE bathrooms
* vacuumed the Pepto Room
* did two loads of dishes

I still have to:

* go shopping
* finish the laundry
* finish the living room
* do another load of dishes
* vacuum the family room
* clean up a report for Dr. X.
* do a rush report for Dr. Y
* start dinner simmering
* pick up Peggy

Hey--this is no fun!

No wonder women go to work.

Our bedroom isn't going to get touched. It's a disaster. Peggy will just have to avert her eyes on her way into the shower.

* * *

Well, it pretty much all got done. Except the work stuff, which I will finish when I post this. It's "finished" because she's here and what didn't get done is forgotten. But actually, the house didn't look bad, I have to say. Our friend O said to take pictures because she'll never get to see it looking this way if we don't. I told her she was a bitch. :)

Peggy's plane was half an hour late. She'd been in transit for 30 hours, and stopped in Singapore long enough to buy yet another digital camera. We had never met before, but slipped very comfortably into the friendship that we've had on line these past two years. She's a delight. We had a gorgeous drive home, since it was one of the most beautiful sunsets I remember seeing in this area.

We got her settled into the Pepto room. She showered (and didn't faint at having to go through our bedroom to get to the bathroom), and I cooked risotto, since it was fast and it was already nearly 9 p.m. We enjoyed dinner, she insisted on doing the dishes (she's not used to dishwashers, so did 'em by hand. by hand???

Walt went to bed and Peggy and I sat up chatting. Now she's gone off to bed and I can start working! Tomorrow I'm giving her the grand tour of Davis. If we're lucky, we might be able to stretch that to 10 minutes.

And I'm going to try to get some work done.